The Triumph Herald is a small two-door car introduced by Standard-Triumph of Coventry in 1959 and manufactured until 1971. The body design was by Italian designer Giovanni Michelotti, and the car was offered in saloon, convertible, coupe, van and models. by van, with the latter marketed as the Triumph Courier.

Herald sales totaled more than half a million. The Triumph Vitesse, Spitfire and GT6 models are all based on the modified Herald chassis and bolted-on body gear.

In the late 1950s, Standard-Triumph offered a variety of two-seater Triumph sports cars alongside its Standard salons, Standard Eight and Standard Ten, powered by a small 803cc or 948cc 4-cylinder engine. ), which by The late 1950s should be updated. Standard-Triumph therefore began working at the Herald. The choice of the name Herald suggests that the car was originally intended to be marketed as a standard as it fits into the model naming scheme of the era (Ensign, Pennant and Standard). But in 1959 the Triumph name was felt to have more brand value, and the Standard name was extinguished in Great Britain after 1963.

Giovanni Michelotti was commissioned to model the car by Standard-Triumph, encouraged by Chief Engineer Harry Webster, and quickly produced designs for a two-door salon with a large glass area that gave a total visibility of 93% in the salon variant. and the "razor" look many manufacturers were turning to. Like Fisher & Ludlow, Standard-Triumph's body suppliers became part of a non-cooperative British Motor Corporation, it was decided that the car should have a separate chassis instead of adopting the new unitary construction. The main body bath was attached to the chassis and the entire front part was hinged forward to allow access to the engine. All panels - including sills and roof - can be unscrewed from the car so that different body styles can be easily built into the same chassis. In addition to the original coupe and sedan models, a convertible was introduced in 1960.

Pennant Standard's 948cc OHV Standard SC 4-cylinder Standard SC engine and 4-speed manual gearbox were used with top three-speed synchronization and remote shift and rear-wheel drive. Most engine parts were previously used in Norma 8/10. The rack and pinion steering provided the Herald with a tight turning circle of 15 feet. The coil and dual-arm front suspension was mounted, while the rear suspension, a new start for Triumph, offered a "limited" independent spring through a single transverse spring bolted to the top of the final drive unit and axles. rotation.

The instruments were confined to a single large fuel-gauge speedometer in the hall (a temperature gauge was available as an option) on a gray pressed cardboard panel. The coupe panel was equipped with a speedometer, fuel and temperature gauges, and a lockable glove box. The car had carpet and a standard stack heater. Several extras were available, including double SU carburetors, leather seats, wood paneling, Telaflo bumpers and paint options.

In late 1958, the prototypes began a test between Cape Town and Tangier. An account of the journey was embellished by PR at the time. [6] However, only minor changes were deemed necessary between the prototype and the production cars. The new car was launched at the Royal Albert Hall in London on April 22, 1959, but was not an immediate sales hit, in part due to its relatively high cost, approaching £ 700 (including 45% tax). about shopping). In the standard form of a single carburetor, the 34.5 hp (26 kW) car was no better than the average in terms of performance. It was found that a salon tested by The Motor magazine in 1959 had a top speed of 114.9 km / h and could accelerate from 0 to 100 km / h in 31.1 seconds. It has a fuel consumption of 34.5 miles per imperial gallon (8.2 L / 100 km; 28.7 mpg-US).

The rear suspension has been criticized for poor performance at the extremes of performance, although the model was considered easy to drive with its good vision, light steering (the smallest turning circle of any production car) and controls and ease of repair.

A Herald S variant was introduced in 1961 with a lower equipment level and less chrome than the Herald. It was offered in salon form only.

The 948 cc Herald Coupe and Convertible models were discontinued in 1961, the 948 cc Herald Saloon in 1962 and the Herald S in 1964.

Pin It

Angra do Heroísmo

Notícias Regionais

Ilha Terceira

Economia

Startups

Outras Notícias

Mundo

Cultura

Saúde

Sociedade

Motores

Motores