The Nash Ambassador is a luxury automobile that was produced by Nash Motors from 1927 until 1957.

For the first five years it was a top trim level, then from 1932 on a standalone model. Ambassadors were lavishly equipped and beautifully constructed, earning them the nickname “the Kenosha Duesenberg".

But for a period between 1929-1934 when Nash produced a line of seven-passenger saloons and limousines, the Ambassador series was the maker’s "flagship",and remained so following the Nash-Hudson merger in 1954. From 1958 until 1965, the cars were named Rambler Ambassador, then from 1966 to 1974, as the AMC Ambassador. The continued use the Ambassador model name made it "one of the longest-lived automobile nameplates in automotive history."

In 1954 the Nash Ambassador was the first American automobile to have a front-end, fully integrated heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning system.

The heating and ventilation system was called Weather Eye and now could be equipped with Nash-Kelvinators' advanced Automobile air conditioning unit.

While other manufacturers in America at the time offered A/C on some models, their air conditioning units were driven by a large and heavy, trunk mounted expander and heat exchanger that carried the air into the car via clear plastic tubes and out through ceiling mounted vents.

Nash's unit was inexpensive, compact, fit under the hood, and could either circulate fresh or recycled air. With a single thermostatic control, the Nash passenger compartment air cooling option was described as "a good and remarkably inexpensive" system.[41] The option was priced well below systems offered by other carmakers (in 1955, Nash offered it at US$345, against $550 for Oldsmobile or $570 for Chrysler); other makers, such as Ford, did not even offer optional air conditioning.[43] (At the time, even a heater was not always standard equipment.)[44]The Ambassador continued with only a few changes.

A new "floating" grille concave grille and partially chromed headlamp bezels were added to the front end.

A redesigned instrument panel was a major change inside. The base trim was called "Super" while the higher "Custom" models featured a continental spare tire carrier and many other upgrades were available in four-door sedan and two-door "Country Club" hardtop forms. The standard 252.6 cu in (4.1 L) I6 was now rated at 130 hp (97 kW; 132 PS) at 3,700 rpm with its 7.6:1 compression ratio and a one-barrel Carter carburetor.

A sales war developed between Ford and General Motors during 1953 and 1954 with the result leaving little business for the other domestic automakers.

Ford and Chevrolet were shipping their standard size models to their respective dealers no matter if there were any orders for them. A price war with deep discounts to sell these cars meant a sales decline for the independent carmakers (Hudson, Kaiser, Nash, Packard, and Studebaker).

Nash-Kelvinator merged with ailing Hudson Motor Car Company as of January 14, 1954, to form American Motors Corporation (AMC), and both Nash and Hudson dealers sold the compact-sized Ramblers that were identical save for the "Nash" or "Hudson" badging.

Although the "senior" Nash and Hudson models continued to be marketed, it was sales of the Rambler that were powering the company's bottom line. As the compact Rambler's fortunes increased, sales of the senior Nash cars, including the Ambassador, decreased. A total of 21,428 Ambassadors were built in 1954

Pin It

Angra do Heroísmo

Ilha Terceira

Startups

Economia

Notícias Regionais

Outras Notícias

Saúde

Sociedade

Mundo

Tecnologia