The Mercedes Benz W111 was a chassis code given to a range of Mercedes Benz vehicles produced between 1959 and 1971, including four-door sedans from 1959 to 1968 and two-door coupes and cabriolets from 1961 to 1971.

Design of a replacement for the two-door Pontons began in 1957. Since most of the chassis and drivetrain were to be unified with the sedan, the scope was focused on the exterior styling.

Mercedes chose the work of engineer Paul Bracq, which featured a more squarish, subtle rear-end treatment, more evocative of the later squarish styling of the subsequent W108/W109 than the sharp-edged tailfins of the sedan.

Production began in late 1960, with the coupe making its debut at the 75th anniversary of the opening of Mercedes Benz Museum in Stuttgart in February 1961.

The 220SE was superseded in early autumn 1965 by the 250SE, which featured the new 2.5 liter M129 engine.

Producing 150 hp at 5500 rpm, it gave the vehicle a significant improvement in top speed.

Visible changes include new 14-inch rims, which came with new hubcaps and beauty rings accommodating the larger disk brakes and new rear axle from the W108 family. Just over 5,250 250SE coupes were produced.

Pin It

Angra do Heroísmo

Ilha Terceira

Startups

Economia

Notícias Regionais

Outras Notícias

Saúde

Sociedade

Mundo

Tecnologia

Cultura

Desporto