The Mercedes-Benz W 113 is a two-seater roadster / coupe, presented at the 1963 Geneva Motor Show and produced from 1963 to 1971. It replaced the 300 SL (W 198) and 190 SL (W 121 BII). Of the 48,912 W 113 SLs produced, 19,440 were sold in the USA.

The W 113 SL was developed under the auspices of Mercedes-Benz technical director Fritz Nallinger, chief engineer Rudolf Uhlenhaut and head of Styling Friedrich Geiger. The main designers were Paul Bracq and Béla Barényi, who created their patented, slightly concave hardtop, which inspired the nickname "Pagoda".

 

All models were equipped with a six-cylinder in-line engine with multipoint fuel injection. The hood, boot lid, door covers and tonneau cover are made of aluminum to reduce weight. The comparatively short and wide chassis, combined with excellent suspension, powerful brakes and radial tires have given the W 113 superb handling for its time. [Citation needed] The front style, with its characteristic upright Bosch fishbowl headlights and simple chrome The grille, dominated by the big three-pointed star on the nose panel, honored the 300 SL roadster.

The W 113 SLs were typically configured as a "Coupe / Roadster" with a soft-top and an optional removable hardtop. The 2 + 2 was introduced with the 250 SL "California Coupe", which had a folding rear seat instead of the soft-top.

In 1955, the Technical Director of Mercedes-Benz Prof. Fritz Nallinger and his team had no illusions about the 190 SL's lack of performance, while the high price of the legendary 300 SL supercar kept it illusory for everyone except the wealthiest buyers. Thus, Mercedes-Benz began to develop the 190 SL on a new platform, the code model W127, with a 2.2-liter inline-six engine with six-cylinder fuel injection, internally denoted as 220SL. Encouraged by the positive test results, Nallinger proposed that the 220SL be placed on the Mercedes-Benz program, with production starting in July 1957.

However, while technical difficulties continued to postpone the start of production for the W127, the new S-Class W 112 platform introduced new body-building technology. Thus, in 1960, Nallinger ended up proposing to develop an entirely new 220SL design, based on the "fintail" W 111 sedan platform, with its chassis shortened by 30 cm (11.8 in), and technology from the W 112. This led to on the W 113 platform, with an improved fuel-injected 2.3-liter M127 inline-six engine and the distinctive "pagoda" hardtop roof, designated as 230 SL.

The 230 SL debuted at the Geneva Motor Show in March 1963, where Nallinger introduced it as follows: "Our aim was to create a very safe and fast sports car with high performance that, despite its sporting characteristics, comfort level of travel

Pin It

Angra do Heroísmo

Notícias Regionais

Ilha Terceira

Economia

Startups

Outras Notícias

Mundo

Cultura

Saúde

Sociedade

Motores

Motores

Tecnologia